Cooling towers help to remove the heat from cooling water systems to room temperature. Heated water comes from the system, enters the cooling tower, and is cooled by distribution over the whole surface of the heat exchange area. so The cooled air passing through the heat transfer area, causes some of the water to evaporate.
The evaporations of water remove heat from the remaining heated water, which is collected in the basin water and reenters the system again to absorb more heat. Cooling Tower has more designs that differ between manufacturers, but the principle of the cooling tower is virtually the same.
HVAC Cooling Towers Components:
The cooling tower consists of many components some of these are Instrumentation and Electrical Systems. Mechanical Equipment Support, Gear Boxes, Cooling Tower Louvers, Fan Deck, Fan Cylinder. Water Distribution Piping Cooling Tower Nozzles Drive Shafts, Cooling Tower Fans, Drift Eliminators, Cooling Tower Structure, Cooling Tower Valves, and Cold-Water Basin, Cooling Tower Fill.
List Of Cooling Towers Components:
- Cooling Tower Fan Motor
- Gear Box
- Distribution Valves
- Cooling Towers Fill Media
- Water Distribution Piping
- Fan Deck
- Drive Shafts
- Cooling Towers Louvers
- Cold Water Basin
- Cold Water Basin
- Instrumentation and Electrical Systems
- Fan Cylinder
- Cooling Towers Fans
- Drift Eliminators
- Mechanical Equipment Support
Types of Cooling Towers
there are many types of cooling towers and we will mention some of them here
Open Circuit Cooling Tower
A direct or open circuit cooling tower is a closed structure that helps to distribute heated or warm water over a surface of a cooling system like packing or fills, which helps to provide an expanded air-water interface area for heating of the air and evaporation to happen faster and take place.
The water is cooled by falling through the fill and then it is collected into a cold water basin, at the bottom of the cooling tower. The heated moisture air evaporates and the fill is discharged into the atmosphere.
Closed Circuit Cooling Towers
A closed circuit cooling tower or called sometimes a dry cooling tower because there is no contact between the air and the water being cooled.
This type of tower has two separate circuits, one of them in which the water is recirculated away from the second circuit, which is several tubes through which the hot water goes through it.
The air drawn through this parallel water provides similar evaporative cooling to an open system of a cooling tower, and the cooled water doesn’t make direct contact with the natural air.
Closed-circuit cooling towers consumed a lot of energy to obtain the same cooling level as an open circuit cooling tower system.
Different Types of Closed-Circuit Cooling Systems
there is more than mentioned closed-circuit cooling tower system uses a separate heat exchanger with an open cooling tower. so The water on the hot area of the heat exchanger never makes contact directly with the air. This protects the heat exchanger from the outdoor. weather by putting it inside the elements and this is one of the system’s advantages. This closed system will last much longer than the outside coil type of closed-circuit cooling tower.
BMS Control system for cooling towers
We can control and monitor the cooling towers system using the BMS control system and there we will mention some of the controlled and monitored parts
Cooling towers Control sections
- turning on and off the towers fan
- controlling the pumps that move the fluids in the cooling towers system
- we can control the speed of the motor driving the fans.
Cooling towers Monitoring sections
- we can monitor the valves and metering systems so we can monitor the temperature of the fluid and cooled air
- one of the advantages of BMS systems is that we can monitor the flow rate of the fluid and estimate the energy consumption of the whole system.
- monitoring status of valves and actuators
- monitoring the speed of fans and motors driving the pumps
BMS Control System
EGYSTEER provides total BMS Control system that can handle the cooling system and monitor the full system so you can manage the cooling tower and increase you management level
The most notable advantages of the BMS Management System are:
- It allows the centralized control and supervision but of all the elements of the building. In addition,
- gives notice of the incidents that have occurred so that the operators know where the problem is and can intervene in the most efficient way possible.
- By promoting the rapid detection of incidents, it generates savings in maintenance costs and, thanks to the automation of supervision tasks, increases staff productivity.
- It provides detailed information on consumption, promoting energy efficiency. Due to an improvement in management, the comfort and safety of the users of the building is increased.
- Only a single supplier of installations and control is necessary, which leads to savings through economies of scale.
You Can Also Read More :